Monday, February 1, 2010

Chapter 1: My Word! A Question of Judgment

For my blog, I have to write a reflection on the first chapter of the book My Word! written by Susan D. Blum. Being the first chapter of the book, the author had to convey its theme as well as catch the attention of reader. The book discusses plagiarism, college culture, and the history of plagiarism. As a work of scholarly merit, the chapter did a great job at balancing all the main topics.

I found it interesting how the book described the many levels of plagiarism, from the “cheating” students to the fabricated journalist, from the repetitive musicians to the dastardly colleague, from 13th century China to 1860’s Yale, plagiarism has had its roots dug deep in our society and I am looking forward to seeing how the author explains it more.

I am also curious of the punishment dealt to plagiarist. It does seem that there is leniency to those in power and that students are looked down upon as scum for doing an act that is, as the book puts it, like oxygen to us. I found it quite hilarious when I learned that the Doctor, MLK Jr. committed such an act. I find it a joke actually. Someone whose life was based on having high morals for equality sure felt it unnecessary to give credit where credit was due: very ironic, in my opinion.

The author does a great job at translating her opinions and the actual facts, and without forgetting to cite her sources. I look forward to continuing to read the book and post blogs throughout this semester.

Franky

No comments:

Post a Comment